Governor Scott Walker’s newly created bipartisan Commission on Government Reform, Efficiency, and Performance met for the first time last week.
Governor Walker created the commission by executive order in order to “explore methods to reduce government spending, reduce service duplication, eliminate waste fraud, and abuse in government, and look for better ways to operate state government that increase efficiency and reduces the burden on taxpayers” according to a statement from the Governor’s office. Governor Walker also expressed that deciding between high taxes or poor governments services is a “false choice” and that the commission will help the Wisconsin taxpayers’ dollars go further.
Those serving on the commission include a variety of state legislators, members from the Governor’s cabinet, local government administrators, and private sector business professionals.
Those serving on the commission are:
- Co-Chair, John S. Shiely –John Shiely is a director of BMO Finance Corp. and BMO Harris Bank N.A., Quad/Graphics, Inc., Oshkosh Corporation, and the corporate board of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. He is also a former CEO of Briggs & Stratton.
- Co-Chair, Scott Neitzel – Scott Neitzel was appointed to serve as Secretary of the Department of Administration (DOA) by Governor Scott Walker on March 1, 2015.
- Representative Adam Jarchow (R-Balsam Lake) – Rep. Jarchow represents the 28th Assembly District. He serves as the vice-chair of the Assembly Committee on Tourism and serves on the Assembly Committee on Energy and Utilities and the Assembly Committee on Financial Institutions.
- Ara Cherchian – Ara Cherchian is part-owner of Northern Wire in Merrill and the former owner of Northland Stainless in Tomahawk. He is also former Board chair of the Wisconsin Manufacturing Extension Partnership. He previously served on the Governor’s Commission on Waste, Fraud, and Abuse.
- Bob Ziegelbauer – Bob Ziegelbauer currently serves as Manitowoc County Executive. Prior to this, he was a self-employed businessman, retail music store owner, City of Manitowoc finance director, and part-time instructor at Silver Lake College.
- Dave Ross – Dave Ross is Secretary of the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS). He was apponted in January 2011 by Governor Scott Walker.
- Senator Howard Marklein (R-Spring Green) – Sen. Marklein represents the 17th Senate District. In the State Senate, he currently serves on the Joint Committee on Finance, the Chairman of the Financial Institutions, Revenue, & Rural Issues Committee, the Labor & Government Reform Committee, the Vice-Chair of the Transportation & Veteran Affairs Committee, and the Joint Survey Committee on Retirement Systems.
- Sen. Janis Ringhand (D-Evansville) – Sen. Ringhand represents the 15th Senate District. Currently, the senator serves on six legislative committees, commissions, or councils: Building Commission, Economic Development and Commerce, Revenue, Financial Institutions and Rural Issues, Women’s Council, Council on Utility Public Benefits, and the Governor’s Council on Workforce Investment.
- Linda Seemeyer – Linda Seemeyer has served as the Director of Walworth County’s Department of Health and Human Services and also served as Milwaukee County Director of Administrative Services. There she led a department responsible for human resources, labor relations, information technology, housing and economic development, fiscal affairs, procurement and the development of Milwaukee County’s $1.2 billion annual budget.
- Michael Heifetz – Michael Heifetz serves as the Division of Executive Budget and Finance Administrator, as well as State Budget Director. His division provides accounting, budget and financial services for state government, including fiscal and policy analysis for the Governor.
- Richard G. Chandler – Richard Chandler is Secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR). He was appointed by Governor Scott Walker in January 2011.
- Robin Gates – Robin Gates is a management consultant focused on helping organizations achieve success through better management and systematic process improvement. His consulting work includes strategic and operational planning, performance management, Lean Six Sigma projects and deployments, procurement, and project management.