Governor Walker approved four harbor grants this month, through the Department of Transportation Harbor Assistance Program (HAP). HAP, created in 1979 by the state legislature, assists harbor communities with maintenance and improvements to aid commerce on the water.
This year’s grants were given to:
- City of Two Rivers (Manitowoc County)
- $878,868 for dredging the Two Rivers Harbor entrance to serve commercial fisheries.
- $400,000 for the reconstruction of a seawall in Two Rivers Harbor that will allow commercial fishermen to more easily navigate the harbor, serve as a mooring site and provide a safe refuge.
- City of Superior (Douglas County) / Fraser Shipyard – $2,912,110 for the final phase of a three-phase site improvement project that extends the existing sheet pile dock wall to maintain a safe berth and lengthen shipyard life.
- Bay Shipbuilding in Sturgeon Bay (Door County) – $2,309,022 for construction of a new dock wall to allow for the docking of large vessels for maintenance and construction.