Sixth Congressional District Seat Open
U.S. Representative for the Sixth Congressional District Tom Petri has announced he will not be seeking re-election, after 39 years in Congress. In the wake of the announcement, a number of candidates have entered the race:
- State Senator Glenn Grothman (R- Campbellsport)
- State Representative Duey Stroebel (R-Saukville)
- State Senator Joe Leibham (R-Sheboygan)
- Winnebago County Executive Mark Harris (D-Oshkosh)
The Sixth Congressional District includes Ozaukee, Sheboygan, Fond du Lac, Winnebago, Dodge, Green Lake, Manitowoc, Marquette, Columbia, Waushara, and Milwaukee counties.
Representative Hulsey enters Governor’s race
State Representative Brett Hulsey (D-Madison) has announced he will challenge gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke in the Democratic primary for governor.
Hulsey was first elected to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 2010, succeeding current Congressman Mark Pocan. Hulsey owns an energy and environmental issues consulting firm, and was on the Dane County Board of Supervisors from 1998 to 2011.
In Hulsey’s announcement, the candidate launched his “Get Wisconsin Working Again Plan,” which would reinvest $2.1 billion to create clean energy jobs, increase job training, public school, UW System, and technical college investments, and reverse tax increases.
Walker launches new campaign ads
Governor Scott Walker officially launched his re-election bid in mid-April with a six-city, statewide tour of Wisconsin.
With the announcement, the Walker campaign released one of its first advertisements online and on television. The ad highlights the positive improvements to the Wisconsin economy, including new data on Wisconsin’s unemployment rate, throughout Walker’s tenure as Governor.
Sheridan announces candidacy for Senate District 15
Mike Sheridan is the Former Speaker of the Wisconsin State Assembly. The Democrat represented the 44th Assembly District from 2005 to 2010 when he lost to Republican Joe Knilans. Sheridan is a former General Motors employee and president of United Auto Workers Local 95.
Sheridan is the third Democrat to enter the race to succeed retiring State Sen. Tim Cullen, as Janesville resident Austin Scieszinski and Democratic State Rep. Janis Ringhand have already registered as candidates.
State Legislature retirements
More retirement announcements have been made in the last few weeks following the end of session for the State Senate and Assembly. Currently, 21 Representatives and 6 Senators have indicated they will retire. New announcements of legislators not seeking re-election include:
- Representative Brett Hulsey, Democrat, 78th AD (Running for Governor)
- Representative Don Pridemore, Republican, 22nd AD
- Representative Erik Severson, Republican, 28th AD
- Representative Duey Stroebel, Republican, 60th AD (Running for Congress in vacated 6th Congressional District Seat, vacated by Tom Petri)
- Representative Chad Weininger, Republican, 4th AD (Accepted position as Brown County Director of Administration)
- Senator Mike Ellis, Republican, 19th SD
- Senator Joseph Leibham, Republican, 9th SD (Running for Congress in 6th Congressional District Seat, vacated by Tom Petri)
See the full list of legislators not seeking re-election at Hamilton Consulting Group.